Welcome to the blog of Melanie McDonald ! I'm a professional artist, my life is divided between my home in Newquay, Cornwall and my renovation project - an 18th Century farm - in North Brittany, France. My inspiration comes from the beautiful beaches, skies and seas of Cornwall, Brittany and Scotland. This is where I share my paintings and photographs, I hope it inspires you.

September 21, 2008

Paintings of Scotland by Winifred Nicholson


Sandaig by Winifred Nicholson (1951 Sourced from www.studio-international.co.uk Trustees of Winifred Nicholson).


Over the Sea to Eigg by Winifred Nicholson (1952 Sourced from www.artnet.com).


The Gate to the Isles by Winifred Nicholson (1980 Sourced from www.studio-international.co.uk Trustees of Winifred Nicholson).


Cheeky Chicks by Winifred Nicholson (1950 Sourced from www.studio-international.co.uk Trustees of Winifred Nicholson).


Isle of Canna by Winifred Nicholson (1951 Sourced from www.studio-international.co.uk Trustees of Winifred Nicholson).

From a remote croft on South Uist, Winifred Nicholson wrote to her son:

This is a place after my heart. I wonder if you would like it. Not a tree, not a bush. But grey boulders, grey rocks. Grey stones, grey mountains. And bog in between - In the bog, lochs with waterlilies, and rare ferns that love the black peaty soil - The sea full of grey mysterious islands and rocks, seals and seabirds. White glistening beaches and transparent sea all the way across to Eriskay. Blue mountains of Barra to the west - and the Cuillins far away snow covered to the south - There are five other cottages in Glendale and no road nearer than three miles - one comes by boat and then walks… Peat fire, water carried from a well, everything as primitive as you want.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...